3.09.2010

Pay It Forward...

I thought I'd be posting a real photo of our snow day today!

The other day 1 of our kids happily announced that the newspaper showed 'chance of snow!'

It was frosty this morning in March, but before I got a picture, the frost was gone...

So,

my Pay It Forward post instead...

Last summer when I first began posting on Craigs List, I didn't even know how (yes, I'm somewhat computer challenged). Sheldon showed me the ropes and I was hooked!

I've found that good, honest descriptions and pictures really sell an item, unless of course you're trying to sell certain electronics or appliances!

I've also posted for my parents, and Sheldon's mom and soon for a friend, although I am NOT the contact for their postings.

As a Craigs lister, there's new meaning to the words 'post it' (as opposed to notes =) and '3 hits' (not referring to baseball or my boys beating up on each other =)!

It's been a fun hobby!

It feels like a huge garage sale that so many are a part of, but we only have to have 1 item ready at a time to sell! =)

In 9 months, I've sold a L O N G list of items including baby & kid stuff, and dressers -- items we didn't need or want anymore.

Maybe I got hooked because I had such a successful 1st sale, and then 2nd, and....

In fact, Sheldon seems to be a little nervous with what I may be posting next =)

Though with the money I've made, I've been able to make some fantastic purchases as well, not necessarily all from Craig's List, but quite a few.

We now have a gorgeous bedroom set (no picture posted) that I had only dreamed of, purchased for a fraction of the cost new, and we didn't have to wait until tax return! The seller even included the boxspring, mattress, comforter, shams and sheet set! And coincidentally, they live very close to us -- can't get more local than that!

Although I've had a couple of disasters ...

I learned --

that you need to keep it very local, unless their pictures and description are really good and seem very honest.

Luckily my disasters didn't cost me too much -- I drove all the way to Magnolia/Seattle and the guy didn't answer his door or his phone, even though he knew I was coming (he emailed me later and said that I could have the new boxspring for free, but frankly I didn't trust that he would be there the 2nd time).

And then not having learned my lesson well enough, I drove all the way to Bellevue for a boxspring & mattress....

Recently Sheldon was a bit surprised with all that I included (bunkboards, comforters, used mattresses) when I sold the bunkbeds the girls have had for 10 years,

but then we discussed how blessed we've been with our major purchases, so...

I will just keep paying it f o r w a r d!

I need to run. I found a post for a new twin mattress at a store in Shoreline.

Natalie's bed will then be complete!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've had such good success with your Craigslisting. I'm glad your lessons learned the hard way haven't been too miserable, too. I love the idea of 'paying it forward.' =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome! I've ventured onto Craig's List once or twice to look, but I've yet to jump in and actually buy or sell anything. Maybe now I can be brave and try... And if I get addicted, I can blame it all on you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat that you were able to get so many "steals" on Craigslist. I've heard it can be quite addicting. We got our piano from Craigslist and we love it! Getting great things for low prices is fantastic, and so is getting money for things you don't need anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Calgary has a similar website called Kijiji and last summer I was most definitely addicted!!! Never sold anything, just bought and bought and bought and really spent very little. Maybe if we move I'll have to follow you and pay it forward!

    ReplyDelete