8.17.2010

Some Like it Hot (Weather)

We live in Western WA where it normally isn't too hot, even in the summertime! Though this year we've had some really WARM weather! During Sheldon's week of vacation, we went to Cascade Park (1 of a few church properties in the state) and camped for a night with some friends. Now I went to Girls Camp at Cascade Park when I was a YW, but there have been many changes over the years. Among other things, we used to camp up in the forest of trees, so we're glad there are many camp sites now close to the river. But the one thing that hasn't changed... the river water is still freezing!
Natalie, Annaliese & Sheldon braved it and went under.
I don't know if I ever did the polar dip at Girls Camp in this river!
I know, I'm wimpy =)
Natalie & Sheldon went out to the rock! And Aaron went under too! Sheldon bought these 2 water guns at the grocery store when he stopped to get ice. Now that's what we're talking about =) And for those who don't care much for the water... Evan made a sand/mud castle.
The kids kept lining up for Bryan to push them on the bucket swing! Another ingenious idea someone had over the last few years. (Plastic water barrels attached with rope to a tree branch.)
The kids LOVED it!
Another highlight: 6 of the kids (2 to 9 years) played flashlight hide n seek in a huge field until really late without adult supervision! And, we saw dozens of shooting stars that night -- we found out later they were part of a meteor shower!

3 comments:

  1. We had so much fun! Did you feel a little bit disappointed our campout didn't coincide with the meteor shower the next night? We could have seen dozens more shooting stars! {Of course, the ones we did see were pretty impressive. =)}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would've braved that water either! =) Looks like a fun campout! Our kids are ready to go camping, but we have to wait until it cools down a little here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That swing does look like a blast! You have some brave kids (and husband) for going in that freezing water! I would definitely have chickened out. :)

    ReplyDelete