"Fall colors to temper gray skies"
That's what we need here in the PNW!
Because I wondered why some years the colors are
more brilliant than others,
I did some research.
I learned that we have the best autumn colors when there's been
a warm, wet spring,
a summer that's not too hot or dry, and
a fall with plenty of warm sunny days and cool nights. =)
I also learned why there are fall colors;
during summer the trees are working hard,
so due to photosynthesis the leaves are green.
But the trees take a break in the autumn,
and as they begin their long winter's rest,
the leaves change from green to yellow, bright orange, or red!
So in summary,
we play in the summer and the trees work,
then we go to work in the fall and
the trees take a break, giving us all this beauty! =)
Here's hoping for even more fall COLOR to temper our Seattle gray skies!

I love the fall colors! I do not miss Seattle's gray skies! I like that idea of the colors "tempering" them.
ReplyDeleteOur fall colors are very slow coming here {probably since it's been warm summer-like weather until just lately}, so I look forward to seeing some bright foliage! {And seeing our friends, of course.} But I have to say, I'd rather take muted autumn leaves and sunny skies if I have to take the gray with the color! ;)
ReplyDeleteSeattle is gorgeous in the fall... definitely one thing I miss. But, like Alanna, I DON'T miss the gloomy gray skies and the rain! :)
ReplyDelete-Marcie