11.17.2010

Seattle's Song

Rain is falling all around,
On the housetops, on the ground.
Rain is falling on my nose,
On my head and hands and toes.
(Children's Songbook, 241)

Nathan loves umbrellas and now his 'puddle' boots too =)

Our Primary chorister calls Rain is Falling, the 'Seattle wiggle song'
(I like that =)
(sidenote: she's from sunnier ID =)
Seattle has a well-deserved wet and rainy reputation,
and lately we've had our share of wind blowing, leaves falling and rain pouring!
It is a misnomer though, that it rains EVERY day in Seattle
(from Sleepless in Seattle),
but we do get our
fair share of drizzle!

Some statistics: Seattle has 36" of annual rainfall,

which is less than the annual rainfall of places like New York.

It's just that the rain comes down over a longer period;

ie. a slow drizzle,

and the low lying clouds seem to hang around far longer. These mists and rain keep Seattle cleaner and greener

than most cities of a similar size,

hence the nickname, the "Emerald City." Our annual snowfall: 8.6" In winter, temperatures drop below freezing

an average of (only) 15 days per year.

Predictions are that the worst of this winter's
cold and snow will partly be here in the PNW!
Hopefully we'll be able to substitute 'rain is falling'
with 'snow is falling' during Primary singing time soon!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading the weather statistics. =) I would love to be able to sing "snow is falling" in Primary soon! =D Maybe I should ask Diann to sing "wind is blowing" as the wiggle song while I'm gone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the stats. Tuesday here was very overcast and everyone was saying how gloomy it was. I just said, "It makes me feel like I'm back in Seattle again" where it's like this for months straight. It made me all sentimental, even though I hated all the overcast days. I love the green, but I miss the sun there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I could handle that many overcast days. I'm too used to the sunny South! I think my kids could go for a little more snow, though. =)

    ReplyDelete