3.30.2011

Middle School

Math has never been my forte,
so I am really glad it's Sheldon's!
And it looks like so far, it's a strong
point for 3 of our school kids!
Seriously, Natalie is in the math class in 8th
grade that I took in 10th grade and still have nightmares
about!
(And then I took only the minimum math
class requirement to graduate from BYU =)
Recently Natalie came home with a letter for nomination by her
Geometry teacher for a National Math Award.
She will be included in The US Achievement Academy
National Yearbook, which will qualify her to apply
for a college grant.
"College?" I thought. "Isn't that 4 1/2 years away?"
(Yes, only 4 1/2 years away, and those years will pass
way too quickly!)
I took the opportunity to go to the Commons at the middle school
and listen to
Natalie and some of her Honors Social Studies classmates give
speeches in front of their class and a
panel of 4 judges.
They each had to choose a current federal, local or state Constitutional issue,
and write up a bill proposal;
Natalie's was 4 pages typed. Then they used notecards for their
actual presentations (they had been encouraged to memorize a
lot of their speeches).
Topics ranged from gun control to same gender marriage adoption
to Natalie's topic of "keeping the phrase 'under God' in the pledge of
allegiance."
It was amazing to see her stand confidently in front of her peers, teacher, and the judges
(an 8th grade parent, an English teacher, an educational lawyer, and the district department
head of social studies)
and take a strong stand on a moral issue, but cover the topic completely and
respectfully.
There will be many more opportunities through her high school years to
stand out, stand up, and take a stand!

3 comments:

  1. What a great kid! You must be feeling pretty proud of her!

    And I'm with you on college...it's suddenly looming closer and closer. I just went to an orientation for rising freshmen at the high school for next year, and as they walked thru the course offerings and tracks, the word "college" kept coming up over and over. Oy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, Natalie! I would love to have heard your presentation. Congrats on your nomination, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! I love the topic she chose to present.

    ReplyDelete